US EPA To Award Superfund
- SAN FRANCISCO -- In an effort to return toxic waste sites to
- use, the U.S. EPA is awarding 40 pilot projects nationally up to
- in financial assistance and services under a new program being
offered by the
- Superfund Redevelopment Initiative.
- Proposals must be submitted to the agency by March 10. Assistance
- include services such as a funded position for a federal agency
- facilitation services and other technical assistance.
- To be eligible, the applicant must be a state, a political
- a federally recognized tribe, and have a site within its
jurisdiction that is
- proposed or final on the National Priorities List of federal
- and where construction of the remedy is not yet complete. Local
- that have sites within their jurisdictions that are not on the
- Priorities List of Superfund sites -- but at which significant
cleanup work by
- the EPA is planned -- may also be eligible if an EPA cleanup
- Selections for the pilots are expected to be announced in May.
- the notice can be obtained electronically through EPA's web page
- http://www.epa.gov/superfund/programs/recycle/proposal.htm or by calling the
- Superfund Redevelopment Hotline at 888-526-4321.