EPA Improves Access To Local Water Quality
- This week, EPA released the Watershed Assessment, Tracking
- Environmental Results (WATERS) integration web site.
- unites geographically specific water quality data from state web
- and various EPA sites, including EPA's new National Water Quality
- Standards Database and its Total Maximum Daily Loads (TMDL)
- Database, with the US Geological Survey's National Hydrographic
- Dataset. WATERS users can click on an interactive map to see
- which waters are classified by states as impaired (those waters
- attaining water quality standards), and to learn the purpose or
- each waterbody (such as whether or not it is designated for
- as a drinking water supply, for recreational use, or for fishing).
- Although not yet complete, WATERS will eventually cover all 50
- and contain links to data on ambient water quality, drinking water
- polluted runoff, fish consumption advisories, facility discharge
- and other information. For more on WATERS, visit:
on the Internet.